Matt’s Birthday Negroni #2

Happy September! Summer feels like it flew by and already the signs of fall are beginning to show; it’s getting dark earlier and the evenings are starting to get chilly. I can’t complain though—I love the changing of the seasons and I’ve had a pretty good summer full of gardening, backyard barbecues, some sewing and knitting, a couple of fun weekend getaways, a garden tour and my annual Chicken Bingo birthday party. I love summer and being outdoors, but I look forward to fall and getting to slow down and head back indoors. It means I can focus more on sewing, knitting AND catching up on blog posts!

Check out this make from LAST FEBRUARY! I made Matt a Colette Patterns Negroni for his birthday a few years ago and he has been begging me for another one ever since, so I finally made him another one for his birthday this year.

Colette Negroni: Version 2 (Short Sleeve)

Matt wears a lot of short sleeve button ups, so had requested a short sleeve version this time. Since I had made the long sleeve version of this pattern before and had already made a muslin, I knew the fit was good. Not having to make a muslin again is always a bonus and time-saver, so I love sewing patterns that I have fitted already. It feels so fast the second time! All I had to do was trace the short sleeve pattern pieces and I was ready to cut my fabric.

Fabric Used: Plaid Cotton Shirting

This fabric had been in my stash to make another Negroni for Matt, but I bought so long ago that I’m not totally sure where I bought it, but I think it came from Pacific Fabrics. I almost couldn’t find it when I went to look for it to finally do something with it and was so sad. You know you have too much fabric when you can’t find a piece of it! In all fairness, I had moved studios since I purchased it, but when I did finally find it, it was pretty squirreled away in a random bin.

Plaid Matching

One thing I’ve learned is that taking your time cutting plaid can really pay off in getting everything to line up and match. My pattern matching game was still fresh from my plaid Archer Button Up,  so I was sure to take extra time on these pockets. I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out!

Details

I used the pointed pocket from the free downloadable pocket variations again, but wanted this to be a more classic button up, so I opted for regular buttons this time (vs. the snap buttons last time ).

The back yoke and pockets were cut on the bias, like the first Negroni. I just like the way that looks.

Matt has been wearing this shirt all summer and I love it when he tells people I made it and they don’t believe him. Of course, now he wants even more of these. They are fairly easy to make though, now that I have the fit down and all the pieces cut out. These past few years, it’s been a tradition for me to make myself a birthday dress, so maybe I need to add something for Matt to that tradition as well!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *