Pattern- Closet Case Files Carolyn Pajamas
I’m used to buying a maximum of 3 yards of fabric (to make a dress) and 5 yards were required for this pattern, so I was a tad nervous about buying this much fabric. This fabric felt so good in my hands at the store and I loved that the “polka dots” were made up of skulls and moons, so I went for it. This is not the first Cotton and Steel Fabric I have purchased, so I already knew I loved their designs. However, it was the first time I had actually sewn with it and worn it. Since its cotton and therefore doesn’t stretch like a flannel would, I made sure to do a tissue fitting to make sure there wasn’t going to be any major fit issues, which there weren’t. The finished pajamas are super soft and comfy to wear and are holding up well in the wash, so this fabric turned out to be a great choice.
- Graded from a size 10 at the shoulders/arms to 12 at the waist for the top
- Sewed a straight size 12 for the bottoms
- No other alterations
Total time to make (including tracing the pattern, cutting the fabric, and sewing the top and bottom)- approx. 23 hours
I was inspired to make these when I saw “pajamas” on the packing list for Camp Workroom Social. It was last-minute (of course), so I only had time to sew the bottoms before I left for camp and had to finish the top when I got back. I did wear the bottoms the whole time I was in New York and they are the best fitting, most comfortable pajama bottoms I have ever had.
These are the first pants I have ever made and, at the time, it was the first Closet Case Files pattern I had sewn. I’ve since made the Ginger Jeans and blogged about them first, because they were technically finished first. It turned out to be good practice for making my Ginger Jeans, as parts of the way the fly and pockets are constructed are similar.
I always planned on making the top (or I wouldn’t have bought so much freakin’ fabric), but I figured I might not wear it much, as I’m used to just wearing a tank top to bed. I have to say I was a bit surprised with how much I love the top and how comfy it actually is to wear to bed. I think the short sleeve version was definitely the way to go for this pair. I would love to sew a plaid flannel version (sans piping) and could see doing a long sleeve top then.
These pajamas turned out to be a great pattern and fabric combo. I’m super eager to put them on at night and try to stay in them as long as possible in the mornings. My jammies of the past have always been a little ratty, so I feel so put together now when I go to bed. It’s so exciting to make something I will wear a lot and feel great in!