After the wedding was over (and with it all the planning that had taken up so much of our time for so many months), I kept getting asked what I was going to do with all my new free time when I got home. My answer was, “Whatever I want!”. I knew I wouldn’t have a hard time finding things to do and just a couple of days after we got home, I got an email asking me if I wanted to be pattern tester for Jennifer Lauren‘s new Cressida Skirt Pattern. Hell yeah, I did! I jumped on that opportunity. I had never been a pattern tester before, but I loved the idea of being a part of something like that and that it had a deadline. Deadlines are good. Plus, I got the pattern for free!
This was my first time sewing with a pdf pattern. I don’t know why I had shied away from it for so long. If all pdf patterns are this easy to assemble, then I was scared for no reason. I’m glad I had a good first experience with a pdf pattern, because it just opened me up to a bunch of patterns I’d been avoiding because they do not come in a printed version… like more of Jennifer Lauren’s patterns. Hello Bronte top!
It was a fairly quick sew and the instructions were very clear. I didn’t do a muslin, because I figured that since it was a circle skirt, all I really had to do was make sure the waist fit, so that saved time. I think it looks cute that it sits at my actual waist, but if I make it again, I’ll probably make it a size bigger, just so it sits a little lower on the hips, but that’s just a personal preference for how I like my skirts to fit.
I also love that it has pockets. The pattern is designed very well, so the pockets stay closed and don’t flare out at all.
The fabric I used is a “Strawberry” Chambray from Pacific Fabrics. How could I resist with a name like that? I’m also proud of myself for picking a solid colored fabric for a change. As a result, this skirt will make a nice staple. I think I am finally getting better at making things I will actually wear. It goes so well with my Violet Blouse too!
The buttons I used looked kind of like strawberries to me, so I thought they would go perfect with the “Strawberry” Chambray fabric.
Here it is on the dress form, so you can see what it looks like without a belt.
In the final pattern, I think that the belt tabs have been moved forward more towards the center of the front and back. It’s a small thing and I wasn’t unhappy with where they ended up, but I could see how it might look better. Just something to note if you do buy this pattern.
Big thanks to Jennifer Lauren for giving me the opportunity to be a pattern tester for her. Pattern designing seems like such a huge and daunting task and I have no idea how it’s even done. I would imagine there’s a lot of math involved… and patience. So hats off to her for creating such a lovely pattern. This was a great experience for me and I hope I will get to do it again!