I recently made my first Colette Patterns Moneta dress and I can see why the blogisphere is abuzz about it. I made mine out of this fun “horse and jockey” vintage knit fabric that was in my stash (courtesy of Flower). It still had the dollar price tag on it from Goodwill.
Participating in the Wardrobe Architect exercises this year, has already helped me pinpoint that I need, and want, more knits in my wardrobe. Making this dress only reinforced that goal. I love knits for some many reasons. One being the fit and the other being the time it takes. I saved time by not having to make a muslin and by sewing it on a serger. This dress only took me 13 hours to make, from start to finish, including tracing the pattern and cutting out the fabric. That’s about half the time it takes me to sew a dress with woven fabric.
I did tissue fit it and decided to lengthen the bodice about 2 3/8″. I probably could have lengthened it a tad less, as the bodice feels the tiniest bit too long. You can see it in the back where it wrinkles up a little. It’s not a big deal, as a quick tug down fixes that, but I will probably adjust that for the next one.
Speaking of the next one, I already have plans for it. I have some pink and brown striped knit fabric that I think I’ll make a short sleeve version 2 out of. I can see why people make this dress over and again. It is quick and easy to make and comfortable and flattering to wear. I can already tell this is going to be a TNT pattern for me!